Single Pitch Award, Skiing Val Thorens and Training Update #7

Anybody else get the feeling that 2013 was shorter than previous years? I certainly do, possibly due to being seriously busy throughout. Perhaps not with work - at least not overly - but busy nonetheless. It was the year started to push my climbing with a vengeance, and I'm really thankful for the opportunities that I've been lucky enough to be given that mean I can do that.

It is also the year that I gained my first professional qualification in outdoor instruction - merely a Single Pitch Award, but well earned, and it sets my foot firmly on the first rung of the ladder towards mountaineering mastery. So thanks, Mountain Training!















Moving into December, excitement was building - not for Christmas, as one might expect - but for the annual expedition of the BOSS'D snow sports team to the French Alps, specifically Val Thorens. Our T.O this year was NUCO, and they provided us with everything we could wish for and more. In the final build up to leaving, snow conditions were concerning as the high pressure refused to budge, however, we need not have worried; conditions were excellent on piste and whilst somewhat icy, we got more than our fair share of off-piste too. On the last couple of days, we were treated to a break in the weather and showers of beautiful powder snow - an epic finale.

I've an absolute plethora of videos to edit and upload, but for the time being here is a mostly uncut clip of a full run in the Caron area of Val Thorens, with one or two excellent falls and mountains (literally) of epic skiing.



So, having shaken off a delightful month of skiing and various Christmas celebrations, the awful realisation came that I'd not touched a climbing rope for weeks - I'd bouldered, certainly - mainly down to a bouldering competition that I've been taking part in - but I knew my endurance was going to need some serious work. After a hard routing session, it was apparent the damage wasn't as bad as I anticipated; my arms felt like limp lettuce, but my frequent bouldering had maintained much of my strength. A few sessions later, and I'm back with a vengeance. My target since September has been to get 7b by the end of January, and I am determined to hit it. After a training session on Tuesday where I was pulling the crux moves of a 7b route successfully, I know just need to put it all together and get the route clean.

 I'm feeling strong, and planning on putting some serious dedication into my training this year. I've definitely got a few trad targets (Cough, London Wall), but sport climbing is going to play a much bigger role in the coming season if I'm going to make real progress. Regardless, the future is bright. 

So I bid you farewell, au revoir, and keep climbing. Persistence is the key to success! 

- Mischa. 



Comments

Popular Posts