Moments


Ever feel you've forgotten most of what you've done? I do. I looked at this blog at the end of the summer, amazed that I hadn't updated it since May. How could I have left it that long? I'd been busy in summer, hadn't I?

I took a glance through my Facebook timeline and realised; I had been busy. There were pictures, stories, plenty of small moments of adventure just waiting to be written about. Each time I'd looked at a photo or a memory and thought:

'This isn't enough. I'll save it until I have something more to add.' 

I suppose I figured eventually I'd have enough to make something worth writing. A whole summer's worth of pictures and memories? I guess I was right.

Multi-Pitching on Gogarth in late spring. Climbers (L-R): Tim Niel, Robbie Frazer, Matthew Dunkley. 

In late spring I found myself over in North Wales with a crowd of Uni friends, taking in some excellent trad lines. Myself and Joe Heeley were paired up James Mchaffie so he could show us some of the best that the sea cliffs and slate had to offer.

Tryfan and Little Tryfan.
Over the next few days we climbed Hunger (E5/6a) and Winking Crack (E3/6a) on the Gogarth Main Cliff, followed by the truly fantastic Central Sadness (E5/6a) on the slate. Possibly the most memorable part of this for me was watching Caff cruise up E5 routes with absolute confidence. Truly inspiring stuff.

Caff leading Winking Crack (E3/6a) on Gogarth Main Cliff.

Joe and I at the belay on Winking Crack.
Caff hanging around above Main Cliff. 
Caff leading Central Sadness (E5/6a).

A few days later I was back in North Wales, and spent Sunday wandering around the slate quarries enjoying the sunshine. Not climbing, just exploring.

Standing at the entrance to Twll Mawr. Don't go left!

Left.

June saw me walking through the leafy enclosure of Dovedale, searching out the dominating limestone structure of Reynards Arch. Terminally steep, the routes that trace their way up the limestone features take powerful, uncompromising line up into the ferocity of the roof before ducking outwards into the terrain above.

Seb, Derek and myself were going to try 'Arch Enemies', a brilliant 7c+ that took the line centrally through the arch. I had a very good session flashing the bottom section and getting the top boulder second go - to my shame, I've still not been back to finish it off. One for the wishlist...


Seb on the lower wall of Arch Enemies.

Seb pulling into the boulder problem on Arch Enemies.

Soon after I remembered that I'd promised to do Ben Nevis with a couple of friends, and so the latter few weeks were filled with walking in order to build up some familiarity with things that weren't vertical. We trekked around the Peak District and got some good mileage in. I enjoyed this sudden spout of rambling. It reminded me to seek out the longer, more drawn out adventures as opposed to the swift challenges that I'd recently subjected myself too.


Lexi and I on the Mam Tor Ridge.


Looking out along the ridgeline.

Heading out over Kinder. (L-R) Mischa, Ellissa, James.
Bleaklow basking in the summer sun. 
Climbing Ben Nevis.
Heading on into the clouds.

The rest of the summer passed swiftly in waves of youth work and outdoor instruction. Still, this isn't so bad. It may be work, but it's still.... Well. Take a look.

In the mountains around Argyll.
Watching the sunset from our wild campsite.
Ardroy Outdoor Centre on the shores of Lochgoilhead. 
Carbon footprints.
Flashing Brachiation Dance (7b+) at the Water Cum Jolly Cornice.
Warming up for a session working Rare Lichen (E9/6c).

Suddenly, almost unexpectedly, Autumn rolls through in full force. Rain, wind, dropping temperatures.... Time for a change of tactics.

I've got a new training program focusing on power, entering competitions whenever possible and most importantly, waiting patiently for the gritstone to dry. It'll be worth it...

Walking into Stanage on an Autumn afternoon.

- Mischa.




Comments

Popular Posts