Training update #2

As promised! I woke today to grey skies that soon turned to persistent showers of rain, once again slaughtering any chance of hitting the gritstone. Not to be defeated, however, I headed over to Rope Race climbing centre for a tough bouldering session.

I made sure to take plenty of time to warm up (after two injured fingers, I've learnt my lesson!), then got down to some gnarly problems in the 6c-7b range. After a few successful sends and working a fair few problems, I got on the fingerboard to do some pull ups pyramid style on steadily decreasing holds - this is a training technique I've borrowed from another climber that seems to work really well for strengthening my fingers for different ranges of holds. At the moment I'm doing 6 pull ups on the top jugs, culminating in 2 pull ups on the 1cm deep two finger pockets - I'm increasing this by 1 respectively every five days or so. 

After the fingerboard I worked a few more problems, and then decided to try a route as my fingers were feeling pretty sore. Heading out onto the big walls, I picked a 20m 6c+ route, and flashed it with barely any pump in my arms! Stamina training is already starting to pay off, hopefully this will translate to 7a/+ and further... 

 More training at Awesome walls tomorrow, so expect another update. 

Mischa. 

Comments

Popular Posts